I have not been able to update the list of Top 100 Philippine Blogs on Technorati until recently when I getting too many requests to do so. I was actually doing a script before which will do this ranking automatically on a regular weekly basis but forgot all about it. (Again, to those who’ve only discovered that page only recently, it’s manually updated so there’s a huge chance I overlooked a couple of blogs. The biggest challenge there actually was to discover which blogs are written by Filipinos.)
So, there goes the question, how to increase your Technorati rank? (First, go back and read my earlier explanation about Technorati ranking before we move on.) So, it’s either you gain more blog links faster or other blogs higher than you lose their links.
Here are some quick tips on how to improve your Technorati rank:
- Create really beautiful blog themes (WordPress & BlogSpot ones are hot). Just look at Gail and Beng’s free WordPress themes and how much links they got for it.
- Develop awesome blog tools and plugins (again, mostly for WordPress). Andrew and Marc’s WP plugins have been harvesting scores of links in the blogosphere.
- Come up with timely contests. Remember the free tickets to the World Pyro Olympics? Both blogs garnered a combined 277 comments & 108 trackbacks.
- Join contests. Aside from the one mentioned above, there’s the recently concluded Ituloy Angsulong contest as well as the 2007 Philippine Blog Awards.
- Attend events. There’s more to what *Jozzua posted about why you should network. Bloggers will talk/write about you and more likely, link to you. The Blog Parteeh! has bare witness to how bloggers benefited from the event especially those who really went around and got to know their fellow bloggers.
- Sponsor an event or contest. If you can’t make one or attend one, why not sponsor one instead? Just ask how many new blog links our sponsors got from the Blog Parteeh. (It’s somewhere in excess of 110.)
- Focus on your niche. Remember, more bloggers will tend to add you to their blog roll if you’re blog is related to their niche.
- Be the first to blog about it. You know what they say how the early bird gets the fat worm first. You’re more likely to be linked to when you write about a hot issue first.
- Make good use of Technorati tags. A lot of people are watching and using Technorati and by using the tags, you have more chances of being seen or discovered.
- Technorati Link Optimization. If you already got the link but it’s not showing on Technorati, you can ping on behalf of the blogger.
Oh, let’s not mention the link baits anymore. As long as you write original and compelling content, the links will follow. The ones I highlighted above just gets you there faster. ;)