November 26, 2012

What is the best smartphone-tablet combo?

As we have mentioned in our past article, smartphones are getting bigger and tablets are getting smaller. While these gadgets try to meet half-way to become the ideal device, there’s still a good gap between them that convinces us to purchase them both. If that’s the case, what do you think is the best smartphone-tablet combo?

Another thing I would also like to consider is what OS is ideal for a smartphone-tablet combination. Is it Android for a smartphone and iOS for a tablet, or is it the other way around? To help start the discussion, I asked my fellow writers about what they think is the best combination based on their own experience.

Let’s start with Ron:

If I were to choose a smartphone and tablet combo, I’d go for the Nokia 808 and ASUS TF300T/TF700T. I still don’t have either of the tablet (I’m still saving up for that), but I already have the Nokia PureView 808. The reason why I picked this combo is because I have the best camera on my phone and I have a good mileage with my tablet (10hrs tablet + 16hrs with keyboard dock)

I think this setup will fit my needs especially when I’m out in the field because I can do my articles easier since the ASUS TF300T comes with a keyboard dock and my Nokia 808 can take very detailed pictures/video. But if you have extra money to spend, I suggest to go for the TF700T which has a better display and slightly faster processor.

To be honest, the question was pretty tough to answer because my needs may most likely be different from yours. In my opinion, knowing what you need out of your smartphone/tablet would help you determine the best possible
slate and handset combination.

For Bob:

If only I had so much cash to pick out two devices for a combo, I’d pick a Google Nexus 10 and a Nokia Lumia 920. I am making this decision based on what online reviewers said for the meantime as I haven’t got my hands on any of them yet. My reason is almost the same with Ron as I’d like my phone to carry a very capable camera.

The Nexus 10 would be my choice because I use my tablet all for my multimedia needs. A 2560 x 1600 display is more than enough along with a powerful processor. Whatever my phone cannot do with its ecosystem, the tablet can make up for. While its true that Windows Phone 8 won’t go well with an Android tablet, the cloud exists.

Another option I am currently thinking about is a Nexus 4 and a capable Windows 8 tablet. It depends actually. I didn’t invest much in iOS’ ecosystem as I’d prefer a more open OS, and I have yet to try new versions of Windows and Android. Mostly, it’s all about your needs and your personality.

As for my own experience, I currently use an iPhone 4S and a Kindle Fire running a custom Jellybean ROM. Aside from texting and calling, I use the iPhone primarily for taking photos, surfing the web, music and gaming, but due to its poor battery life, I’ve decided to delegate some of the tasks to the Kindle Fire such as Gmail, web browsing, eBook reading and some gaming – tasks that are better done on a tablet. To transfer photos and files across devices I just use apps like DropBox or Box. Aside from that, the iPhone’s iOS gives me access to tons of apps in the App Store while the Android tablet provides me with an optimized Google experience and the versatility of an open OS. Ideally, I’d go for an iPhone 5 and a WiFi-only Nexus 7 but if I’m going to reverse platforms I’d go for a HTC One X+ and an iPad Mini.

So how about you? What do you think is the best smartphone-tablet combo? Should it be of the same platform or different? Discuss it with us by hitting the comments below.

79 Responses to “What is the best smartphone-tablet combo?”

1. ceegii63
    Twitter: ceegii63

LUMIA 920 + NEXUS 7 32gb HSPA+

having an Android Phone and Android Tablet would just be redundant

the Lumia 920 with its awesome Camera would be complimented by the rear camera-less Nexus 7 with all the Apps lacking in Windows Phone 8 and NFC will allow seamless transfer of data

and with a price tag of $449+$299(+tax) thats a hell of a deal

2. Liam says:

In my case, it’s an Android tablet (Google Nexus 7) and a non-Android phone (iPhone 4S). I heavily use iPhone for music, Internet on-the-go, and some gaming. My Nexus 7 caters productivity. That’s what I use for Web browsing and writing papers due to its flexibility.

I’m fancying a Windows tablet and an Android/iOS smart phone though. Guess Windows can fully handle productivity tasks. :)

IMHO, having a tablet and a smart phone of the same ecosystem is redundant. Besides missing out possible experiences offered by other OSes, there are sure overlaps which can practically be addressed by owning only one device.

If one cannot decide between having a tablet and a smart phone, Android offers compromises with a phablet. Dell has earlier produced a phablet but see how Samsung successfully creating a market/demand for Note.

Bottom line: Do NOT get two devices of the same OS!

3. Jojo says:

My current combo: Galaxy s2 and Tab 7.7

4. carloxy says:

dream combo: HTC Droid DNA + Future iPad Mini W/ Retina Display :D

5. kevin says:

currently playbook + s3 walang probs

6. dos says:

i’d go for the nexus 7 or the upcoming nexus 7 3G model, and Nokia Lumia 710 or the Nokia Lumia 800. Nexus 7 for my multimedia and gaming needs and the Nokia Lumia 710 or 800 for my texting, calling and music needs plus it adds ”porma” because of its sleek and wonderful design and these devices is more cheaper than the others. But if my parents will won the lottery, my dream combo is the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the HTC 8X. OR the Galaxy Note II and the Ipad 4. But these devices ar FAR out of my budget, currently saving for a Sony Xperia Go because of it’s awesome waterproof technology =]] and BTW love your website[exlamation point x10] [shift not working] haha =]]

7. misterpinoy says:

Ainol Fire and Samsung Galaxy Y

8. gboydroid says:

Now i have my s3. planning to buy an ipad mini for my son. bcoz for now ios apps are optimized for tablets :) and also they ar many apps for kids for educational purposes.

9. Erich says:

I currently own a HTC One X and Nexus 7. Both have 32GB storage, IPS display, etc., plus I can play all my NVIDIA TegraZone games on both device with ease.

10. Erich says:

I own a HTC One X & ASUS Nexus 7. Both powered by NVIDIA Tegra 3.

11. Leo
    Twitter: leosmorales

i have samsung wave + samsung galaxy tab 7.0 plus,
    using wifi tethereing of samsung wave to share net to galaxy tab

12. edsar says:

Nexus 7 + iPhone 4S would be a great combo

13. Bruno Rapido says:

I would go for the CDR-King Tri-Sim Phone with built-in FM tuner and TV!!!

As for the tablet, nothing beats the CDR-King tablet in price. Very affordable, with ICS and SD-Card slot.

You also have the option to use the infinite CDR-King accessories like power bank, etc…

Now that is the perfect combo!

14. edisson says:

My combo would be Lumia 920 and iPad mini. Another would be Note 2 and iPad mini again. Lumia 920 and Note 2 are my dream phones. S3 was also my dream phone but I like 920 more. I wish at least I can use one of those even for just a day. Exept for 920. I’m definitely going to buy that!!

15. guyrony says:

I would go for that new HTC Droid with full HD screen out now in Verizon and an Asus TF700.

It’s getting the best of both worlds. Very slight compromise. Sure both are running Android but that’s the good thing, the openness and the flexibility of the operating system.

16. joshiraku says:

Asus Padfone 2 for me. I just want a single device that “does it all”.

17. marc says:

iPhone 5 and iPad mini would be for me.

18. mark889 says:

xperia acro s and ipad 4

19. Raphael says:

Nexus 4 and 10 FTW! Or HTC Droid DNA and Nexus 10! :D

20. ishi says:

s3 and nexus 10

21. Greg says:

Mine is Blackberry Playbook 64GB and Torch 9860. Unbeatable BB plan at 599/month for unlimited internet.

22. Kaloy
    Twitter: KrianOrbito

BB Bold 9930 & PlayBook especially if you’re registered on BBMax tapos naka bridge. Perfect combo!

23. Ted says:

i currently have a samsung galaxy s3 and i am going to buy the ipad 4 this christmas. the perfect combo!

24. ChrisP
    Twitter: chrispungtilan

I have an android phone (xperia mini) that I would love to pair with Nexus 7.

25. garz says: