Fresh from Sony’s blogsite is an announcement that Android KitKat updates for the Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, and Xperia Z1 Compact “starts right about now”. Not only that, the company also has a couple of niceties for its users. They also announced the devices that are next in line for the update.
On top of the standard performance and UI optimization of the latest Android update, Sony has thrown in a few extras to go along with it:
- Tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings are more intuitive and customizable so you only get the notifications you need
- Sony PlayStation 4-inspired user interface
- Proprietary apps like Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera get updated and improved
- Sony’s media apps integrated with Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories with more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more
- Xperia themes with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select
Sony has also announced what other Xperia devices will get the Android KitKat update.
Starting mid Q2:
No definite date but sure to get KitKat updates:
- Xperia T2 Ultra
- Xperia E1
- Xperia M2
Do consider that update availability varies by country and carrier. If you own one of the aforementioned devices and still haven’t gotten your fix, you may manually check by going to the About Device option in the Settings of your Xperia device at the scheduled date.