December 07, 2012

Top 5 Weirdest Nokia Phones Ever

Nokia, as we all know, is a veteran when it comes to manufacturing handsets and lead the mobile industry for the longest time. The company has so much pride in its work that it can afford to produce the weirdest and strangest handsets ever made. For that, here are the top five weirdest Nokia phones ever.

Warning: The article can cause severe nostalgia.

1. Nokia N-Gage

Nokia’s first venture into a dedicated gaming phone is the Nokia N-Gage. It was released in Q4 of 2003 and features a 2.1-inch display with a resolution of 176 x 208 (130 ppi). It has a five-way directional controller on the left along with some other dedicated keys while on the right is the keyboard for T9 input. Its main feature other than gaming is the mp3 player. I can’t remember which games played on its Symbian S60 OS but I remember that I used to look at it as the coolest Nokia phone ever.

2. Nokia 3650

Now this one brings me back to my college days as I used to have this phone. The Nokia 3650 was released in Q1 of 2003 and sports the same display as the N-Gage. It doesn’t have a weird form factor but it does have a weird keyboard. Instead of having the regular T9 keypad arrangement, Nokia decided to place them keys in a circular fashion. It took me one week before I got used to those keys. The last memory I have of this phone was when it flew across my room out of frustration because of the “5 times reboot” issue that its Symbian S60 is having.

3. Nokia 3250

The Nokia 3250 was released in 2005 and is also known as the Rubik’s phone due to its ability to twist its lower part where the keyboards are to give you access to its dedicated music buttons. It has a 2 megapixel camera, built-in radio and was the first phone to utilize the Symbian 9.1 OS.

4. Nokia 7600

Also known as the leaf phone because of its leaf-like shape. The Nokia 7600 was released in Q4 of 2003 and like the 3650, Nokia has also decided to play around with its keys. Other than the odd shape, the 2-inch display and VGA camera, I don’t know what else this phone can offer. Lethal when thrown, I guess.

5. Nokia 6800

I consider the Nokia 6800 as nifty rather than weird. Released in Q1 of 2003, the 6800 bridged the gap between having a regular T9 keypad and a QWERTY keyboard. The 6800 has a hinge located on its sides near the display which allows the keypad to flip 180 degrees revealing a fully-fledged keyboard. The screen would also rotate 90 degrees to accomodate your landscape typing.

And there you have it folks, the weirdest Nokia phones ever that can make Sir Jony Ive cringe. It also makes you wonder what the Nokia peeps are smoking in their HQ when they decided to produce these handsets. I’m sure there are more out there so feel free to share those in the comments section below.

27 Responses to “Top 5 Weirdest Nokia Phones Ever”

1. JM Lit
    Twitter: jomarlit

They should have made the Nokia 7380 and 7280 on the first spot.

• vincent pogi says:

oo nga! para sa akin ytan weirdest phone nila. lipstick style.

• marvin says:

yup i agree. how can the 7380 not be on this list? its the weirdest of them all! tsk tsk kulang ata sa research…

• Louie
      Twitter: John_Louie

Yeah. Missed out on that one. Thanks for mentioning it here though.

• roiji
      Twitter: roiji

tama! hahaha
      the phones in the 7*** line were all experimental in design and never made past 2nd production.
      i would have loved the popping out of the keypad shield and the scroll wheel of the Nokia 7110 to have made it into another phone back then..

The Nokia 7110 was my dream phone back then, beside the the Nokia 5510 way back in 2002

2. Marvin says:

I used to own a Nokia 3300 (http://www.extragsm.com/images/phone/big/Nokia/3300/Nokia-3300-01.jpg) and had a blast converting my old cassette tapes into mp3s with the included 3.5mm-USB cable.

3. Ryan S. says:

damn, bigla ko naalala ung nakaraan ah.. haha.. 1st phone ko is nokia n-gage QD.. ang 256mb memory card mo nun, mdami nang maila-lagay na games, 50 per download.. hahaha.. until now, naalala ko, hndi ko alam para san yung n-gage arena.. haha..

nice article sir.. reminiscing.. haha..

4. NeutralGuy says:

weird or genius?

5. lew says:

I miss my favorite 7110

6. Renegade says:

Well done! My personal choice for weirdest phone ever is this.. http://www.gsmarena.com/vk_mobile_vk4100-1517.php Straight out of Star Trek. LOL!

7. Dandan says:

That’s what I like about Nokia (more of the ‘before-Nokia’), they aren’t afraid to take risks on hardware design

8. dredd says:

refreshing and original albeit out-of-this-world, designs only nokia could pull off. sadly, they were relegated into has-been by the apple/android juggernaut. oh those were the days, when you hold your new shiny nokia proud.

9. iamnotabrandconcious says:

Now it all looks weird because nowadays most phones have streamlined designed and simple aesthetics. But, back in the days when Nokia was the king, these phones were considered cool and definitely not weird.

10. rocketlog says:

Tawa ako ng tawa sa lethal when thrown. Nice article.

11. John says:

Very nice article… very nice… Thanks Yuga

12. Uga says:

Yong nokia 3650 or 6630 ba yon, basta bilogan ang keypad, nagkandarapa talaga ako dati. Gandang ganda ako dati sa design ng nokia, ngayong pasimplehan na ang labanan, ang weird na nia tingnan.

13. iVan says:

nokia released a device similar to the nokia 3650 but with the normal keypad. i guess many found that circular keypad too out of this world.

14. Phillip says:

that’s 3660

15. Darelle Andrade
    Twitter: darcille04

5210 is the shi**est of them all.

16. Mica
    Twitter: micasobre

Old school! Haha I remember wanting the N-Gage phone when I was younger because it was just so cool to have a portable game player that happened to be a phone as well.

And Nokia 3650 was the worst. Especially when the friend who has the most load had this phone and lets you text people… it takes forever to type!!

17. kai says:

N90 can be a good candidate for that list

18. Rom says:

I miss my Nokia 3650.. :)

19. This is a very informative reading. You’ve really gotten my interest on many points. I agree with most of your points and am presently examining the rest. Thank you for keeping your writing so interesting.

20. Sammy says:

Really had a good laugh reading this. 7600 – lethal when thrown. :D

21. Adam Parnala
    Twitter: NoypiGeeks

Great compilation sir Louie. They really look weird. =)

22. annieB says:

gandang ganda ako sa 7600! i so wanted that before! i also like the nokia phone with the flower design, gold pa nga yung color ng phone. (syempre girl eh ;P) just can’t remember the name of it.