Skip to content
January 31, 2014

Around 3K postpaid subscribers reach 1GB per day

After discussing the issue about the bandwidth limit and throttling of mobile internet with one of the reps of a local telco, we both agreed that the imposed monthly limit is a bit “limiting”.

My own postpaid account have been throttled several times before (read our story on What Happens After You Reach Your Data Cap).

What’s interesting that we learned from the conversation is that around 3,000 postpaid subscribers regularly exceed the 1GB daily threshold. The number might seem huge but it’s actually less than 2% of the subscriber base.

So the logic revolved around the idea that if you limit the usage of the 2% of the subscribers, you will be able to improve the experience (speed) of the other 98%. The analogy is similar to limiting the number of buses in EDSA (numbering around 2,000) and the time of the day they that can use the road so that the other 500,000 regular vehicles can travel more efficiently (i.e. faster).

Bus operators would complain that it’s unfair to them and that they should have 100% unlimited access to EDSA all the time, despite the fact that they hog the roads and take up 2 of the 3 lanes most of the time. Operators would say they pay the same road tax and income tax so they should be treated equally. The same is true with drivers affected by the number coding system.

And they have a point.

That is why we’re here discussing what to do with the daily congestion, not just of EDSA but also of our mobile internet traffic.

Is it fair (or does it make good business sense) to sacrifice the 2% to benefit the other 98%. Are telcos willing to let go of those 2% so that the 98% are better taken care of? By the way things are going, it would seem so.

Fair Use Policy: Globe vs. Smart compared
Globe breaks silence, explains Fair Usage Policy
Globe plans to offer tiered pricing, top ups amid FUP

137 Responses to “Around 3K postpaid subscribers reach 1GB per day”

  1. Ok, Globe now has throttling. Ok, they want to start throttling after 1GB/day or 3GB/month. I will not even contest their claim that only 3% will be affected. I will give them that. In return I want to be able to change my plan from unlimited data to consumable especially since they have me under contract. Knowing this change in their policy, I want to have control on how I spend the money I pay them on regular basis month after month. Their screwing unlidata postpaid subscribers over. Forcing us to be limited with the service we get in a policy change that is one sided, benefitting only Globe.
    Heck, if I buy a new prepaid sim everyday and load it with the minimum amount to have one day’s worth of supersurf, I get 24 GB total spending only 2400 pesos, maybe even less. That’s 100 pesos per gigabyte versus the 300 pesos per GB I now get under my post paid contract. I signed up for the postpaid plan under contract because it was supposed to give me better value for my money. People sign up for unlidata for one reason alone, if Globe unilaterally makes that reason moot, Globe should provide the same subscribers the option to choose where their money will be better used.
    All these bloggers who insist that Globe’s FUP for customers under contract is actually “fair” are either not thinking things through or really are just paid lackies.

    • Smokescreen says:

      That is actually a good point. Did you actually sign an FUP contract? If not, though you can’t compel Globe to disregard their policies….you can however declare the contract voidable. Undel Laws on Contracts, once a party implements a change in policy that critically changes how a contract is implemented and at the same time is a point of contention for the other party…..then you can have it invalidated because it is voidable. Specially if such change in policy would have altered your decision in signing the contract.

  2. Very quickly this site will be famous among all blogging and site-building viewers, due to it’s nice articles

Leave a Reply

*
*