March 31, 2008

HP Compaq Presario B1200 (HP B1256TU)

Since I first bought the Compaq Presario V3000 over a year ago, I’ve been a fan of HP’s line of laptops. So, after selling off that old model, I went back and got an almost similar but lighter version — the Compaq Presario HP B1256TU.

At a smaller form factor, the Compaq Presario’s 12.1″ screen is as clear and bright as the v3000 series. The screen real estate still supports up to 1280×800 pixels, powered by a embedded Intel GMA X3100 graphics hardware.

Compaq Presario B1200

It’s lighter too — 1.79kg is just over 4 lbs. It’s not on the top end of HP (the tx2000 series is) but this rig has an Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 that runs at 2.0 GHz with a default 1024 MB (2x512MB) of RAM. The 160GB of HDD space and a DVD+RW puts it on the middle of the scale in storage space.

It’s almost complete in the connectivity department too — 3 USB ports, phone modem, Gigabit LAN port, S-Video out, VGA out, Bluetooth and an SD-MMC card reader. There’s a built-in 1.3 megapixel webcam too.

The external controls for the 802.11 b/g/n WiFi is also on top of the full keyboard along with speaker switch and volume control.

The speakers are now situated at the bottom front of the laptop, along with the mic and headphone jack.

This model is actually an old one and costs about Php90k when it first came out last year. It has since dropped to just over Php55k. It’s a good deal, IMO.

The drawback though is that they come out of the box with Windows Vista Home Premium and they don’t allow a free downgrade to Windows XP. That makes the default 1GB RAM enough to run the system comfortably. Worse, upgrading the memory to 2GB will require you to buy new 2 x 1GB RAM sticks and take home the 2x512MB that originally came with it. Despite the drawbacks, the recent price downgrade still makes it a good buy.

HP Pavillion vs. Dell Inspiron: Artist Edition
Mini Dell Inspiron to match HP 2133?
TG Averatec N1000 Mini Laptop

64 Responses to “HP Compaq Presario B1200 (HP B1256TU)”

1. Ren says:

Hi! just bought presario B1200 i can’t open friendster in it. it says like “Forbidden
    You don’t have permission to access /login.php on this server.

Apache/1.3.39 Server at http://www.friendster.com Port 80″

can anyone help me out with this please?? i will be looking forward to your reply. Thanx

2. Ren says:

sometimes i can open friendster but it will take long time to open it. so, whats seems to be the problem? please tell me what to do.

3. iceman9 says:

can anyone suggest to me a laptop worth P30k please?

4. john gemoto says:

why we dont have friendster

5. faith says:

my dad asked me what i want for my birthday! im torn between a netbook or a laptop? any advice?

6. roy says:

7. roy says:

please verify,clarify,correct the information given about hp compaq presario hp b1256tu. the processor at the site of HP says 1.73Ghz Intel pentium dualcore.and not – 2.0 Ghz.Is this the right one price P55,000? We are going to buy,but is this the correct information? We saw you on tv days ago.Please enlighten me.Thank you. ..So which one should I buy,2.0Ghz HP worth P55,000?

8. roy says:

please e-mail me and I will wait until 11am.We are First time buyers.Many Thanks

9. ian says:

hi. do you know where i can find an extra battery pack for my unit? wish it was originally equipped with a 6-cell one.

10. Jaywalker_68 says:

@Jignesh Makwana

i think you’ll be needing sata controller for you to ba able to downgrade your laptop to win xp pro.if you need help feel free to ask me,here is my YM ID jaywalker_68@yahoo.com.

11. Jaywalker_68 says:

@ian

You can buy battery at PCWORX Gilmore.

12. Jaywalker_68 says:

@iceman9

laptop for 30K?you can try acer laptops,astig din sila bro.

13. Jaywalker_68 says:

@faith

i advice you to choose laptop girl.

14. jermac12 says:

Laptop for 30k,

kung gusto mo ng magaan lang meron sa PCXPRESS
    18thou yata ASUSEeePc

Kung gusto mo ng mas mataas na specs…
    Compaq, nakalimutan ko ung model eh, sa PCX din.
    maganda siya, Pentium Dual-Core yata,

download mo sa site nila pricelist nila,

search mo sa google PCX

meron din yata sila laptop na less than 30k ung isa may free Canon Ip1300 printer (un ung printer ko ngaun, angbilis magprint! ang ganda ng printing). at ung isa naman my free nokia cellphone…

hope i helped…

15. Alex says:

I am now using B1200 and so far it suits me well, I am just wondering if is it advisable to run the machine in xp, I think the system can run faster with that os, I also want to know if the machine can be upgraded to have a bigger hard disk…

thanks

16. jun says:

Hi guys i am planning to buy Compaq CQ45-319TX,55k…any comment on the unit?

17. marck says:

nice laptop…is it available? i’m looking 4 a new laptop..

18. azel says:

hye i got a problem to solve..i has buy a notebook Compaq presario b1200 6 month ago,when i format it i got a problem to find a comfortable driver for wireless and web cam from Compaq website..My question is do u have a driver for my notebook
    ..can u sent to,i really appreciate with your help,,,,plese email me at (noraasfia@yahoo.com)

19. ian says:

hi guys. to those running on windows xp, hows your battery life? currently, i’m only getting 45mins. on it. is there a way to extend my battery life? any configurations i could do myself? thanks

20. leo says:

friends i’m planning on buying a laptop this coming december 2009, i’m looking for something na pede pang high level rpg games, hindi po kz aq tech savvy, sana po ma2lungan nyo aq e2 po email q leo_cerzo@yahoo.com..xa nga pala $35.000.00 lang budget q.

21. ian says:

hi. anyone here who wants to sell their busted b1256tu battery pack? i’m willing to buy it. just text me @ 09236598217. tnx

22. ian says:

i know that the stock ram of the b1256tu is 512mb dr2 667mhz. can i use a 2Gb 800mhz ddr2 ram on it?

23. ian says:

can i use 2gb 800mhz ddr2 on my b1256tu?

24. David Miguel says:

We are offering the HP Compaq Presario B1200 (HP B1256TU) for sale at a very cheap and affordable price.The HP Compaq Presario B1200 (HP B1256TU) is brand new with one year factory warranty.

For inquiry,email us on: davidelectronicworld@yahoo.com

25. Carl O. Binayao says:

I have a Compaq presario 1200 that I bought last feb 3, 2009. Can I upgrade the gaming graphics of this unit?