Just one month into the Isulong SEOPH competition and I’ve learned a lot of things I didn’t knew about before. The SEO Contest has been a good exercise for me so I’d like to list them down here and share with everyone.
- Google.com.ph definitely favors websites hosted on Philippine ISPs, as shown in this search results.
- Google.com.ph favors domains with the .PH country code TLD even if the sites are not hosted in the Philippines. See same results as above.
- A website’s general language is factored in since Google now recognizes the Tagalog language. You can clearly see the difference between the English language results and the Tagalog language results. You will notice the Google query string for each results only differs with hl=en and hl=tl.
- Google can extract/recognize partial keywords from domain URLs. Notice the domain www.isulongseophil.com is highlighted as such in the SERPs.
- While Google recognizes keywords in domains even without separators like dots or dashes (isulong.seoph.tld, isulong-seoph.tld and isulong-seoph.tld), it cannot do the same on an actual page content or meta description.
- Contest entries running on blogs rank far better than static websites because of some inherent advantages — blog-specific search/tagging services (Technorati, Feedster, IceRocket etc.)
Last and most important, comment spamming and trackback spamming still tops as the #1 link building strategy. Maybe that’s the reason why the rel=nofollow initiative is slowly loosing support. Then, there’s the occasional links from Wikipedia sites.
Some of the above observations may be a long-standing fact to the SEO community but not to me. :D
Disclaimer: I have two eligible but non-competing (yet!) sites which I put up for this contest. One is my Smart Wifi blog with an Isulong SEOPH entry and another blog for a fictitious Filipino novelist/artist aptly named Isulong Seoph. If anyone wants to help out with the natural link-building strategy, I’d appreciate a link to any of the above sites.
[tags]seo, sem, seo contests, isulong seoph, seo philippines[/tags]