During last January’s news about the shutting down of file-sharing website MegaUpload and the surprise raid of Kim Dotcom’s mansion in New Zealand, the Philippines was also mentioned as one of the governments who helped the FBI in their investigation. And true enough, the local office of MegaUpload has been around for some time now.
I talked to one of the former employees of MegaUpload Philippines earlier today and asked some more details about the company’s local operations.
– Sven, the Country Manager, was alerted that same morning as the New Zealand raid and was able to evade an arrest.
– The company operates in one of the high-rise towers in Taguig (Fort Legend Towers) and employs around 50 people doing back-office.
– The office spans one entire floor of Fort Legend Towers which they rent for Php800,000 a month.
– Employees work on support for MegaUpload, Megaporn and a blog network called Megablogs.
– Kim Dotcom does not have a Filipna wife but an FHM girlfriend.
At the day of the raid at the New Zealand mansion and Hong Kong headquarters, the Philippine office was also alerted and all employees were able to evacuate the office the very same day.
The office has now been shut down, the GM flew to Germany and all remaining properties are being liquidated to compensate the abandoned employees.