Yahoo! and Nielsen today announced results of their recent internet usage survey (Net Index 2010) which covers 22 major cities in the Philippines.
The figures isn’t representative of the entire country but just the top cities (and excludes the rural areas). These are the same cities Nielsen sampled the previous year so they were able to compare past results.
Nielsen shared the highlights of their survey findings involving a sample size of 1,500 respondents:
- Search is #1 activity by people going online at 76%, up from 56% in 2009. Second is visiting internet portals (73%), instant messaging is #4 at 68%, public chatrooms is 4th (67%) and email is 5th (65%). At #6 is visiting social networking sites at 53%.
- Entertainment is the biggest motivator — 62% of searches are for images and 52% for videos, the current top 2 (see, porn is still a huge factor for internet use).
- Mobile internet usage grew from under 1% to 5% this year with 75% for email use. It’s still small compared to the over-all number but still a huge growth here.
- Facebook usage grew from 4% last year to 83% this year. Friendster is still on top at 84%, but this has gone down from 92% last year. Twitter is only at a paltry 6%.
- Music upload/download grew to 41% from 25%. Video upload/download also grew to 38% from 22% (so music and movie piracy is still growing, huh?).
For the complete report, check out this PDF slideshow: