Last month, TikTok published a blog post called “How TikTok recommends videos #ForYou.” The article explains how the ‘For You’ page works and how users are presented with a stream of curated videos using a ‘recommendation system.’ If you’re a TikTok user and want to know how to use the For You feature to your advantage, then check our article below.
Table of Contents
What is TikTok For You Page?
The For You page in TikTok presents you with a stream of curated videos that are based on your preference. New users are invited to select categories that interest them, like pets or travel, to allow the platform to make recommendations. It will then start polishing the recommendations based on the user’s interaction from previous videos. Those who don’t select a category are given general content from various categories, but will soon be tailored based on the user’s activity. The nice part about this page is that it will show you videos regardless of the content creator’s following. Meaning even those with a small fan base has the opportunity to appear in the For You Page.
What factors contribute to For You?
TikTok’s For You feed is different for every user as it depends on personal interest or preference. But as mentioned earlier, will be adjusted based on a combination of factors, including things like:
- User interactions – videos you like or share, accounts you follow, comments you post, and content you create.
- Video information – includes details like captions, sounds, and hashtags.
- Device and account settings – your language preference, country setting, and device type. These factors are included to make sure the system is optimized for performance. Still, they receive a lower weight in the recommendation system relative to other data points we measure since users don’t actively express these as preferences.
How do you use it to your advantage?
The easiest way to have your video featured in For You is to have a considerable amount of followers. A new user with few followers can still make it to the For You page somehow, although creators with large followings have an advantage. “While a video is likely to receive more views if posted by an account that has more followers, by virtue of that account having built up a larger follower base, neither follower count nor whether the account has had previous high-performing videos are direct factors in the recommendation system,” said in the TikTok blog post.
TikTok says recommendations on the For You page may be up to roughly three months old, though videos usually peak in virality soon after they are posted. Since timestamps aren’t visible on the For You page, users may not know the memes they’re watching are from long ago.
The For You page algorithm looks at other elements also, like song clips, effects, and hashtags, that’s why the majority of the videos have the #fyp, #foryou, and #foryoupage hashtags to help get in. Here’s a strategy you can use:
- Make sure to include #fyp, #foryou, and #foryoupage in your captions or any hashtags that are related to your video.
- Use music that is popular right now.
- Include captions inside your video.
- Join TikTok challenges.
- Make your caption and cover clickbaity.
And there you have it. We hope that these tips can help you build a bigger fanbase on TikTok.