Apple iPadOS now official
At the Apple Worldwide-developers conference 2019 in San Jose, California, the company has announced numerous upgrades and updates including the new iPadOS that replaces the iOS.
Replacing the iOS, the new iPadOS aims to bring more capabilities and features to the iPad. Even though it still benefits from the new updates of the iOS 13, it features the following:
- New Home Screen – New layout to show more apps on each page, Today View can now be added to the Home Screen allowing quick access to widgets.
- Split View and Slide Over – Apple finally allows multiple files and documents running from the same app simultaneously.
- Apple Pencil upgrade – users can mark up and send entire webpages, documents, or emails on the iPad by swiping the Apple Pencil from the corner of the screen. There is also a redesigned tool palette that gives quick access to tools, color palettes, shapes, object eraser, and the new pixel eraser.
- Files App upgrade – comes with an iCloud Drive support for folder sharing. It also supports external drives (USB drives and SD cards). It features local storage, zip and unzip, and new keyboard shortcuts.
- Safari Desktop version – when browsing via Safari, the browser will automatically show the desktop version of the website with the right scaling. It also comes with a download manager and 30 new keyboard shortcuts and enhancements.
- Text Editing Upgrade
- Dark Mode
- Custom Fonts
- Floating Keyboard – includes support for QuickPath
- Mouse Support via Bluetooth and USB
- Sign In with Apple – allows signing into apps and websites using Apple ID
- Performance Improvements
The developer preview of the iPadOS is available to the Apple Developer Program members in the company’s website here. The public beta program will be available next month at their website here. Do not that the new operating system will be available as a free software this fall 2019 for iPad Air 2 and later, all iPad Pro models, iPad 5th generation and later, and iPad mini 4 and later.
Source: Apple Newsroom