MediaTek 5G SoC for flagship devices announced
MediaTek has announced its new multi-mode 5G chipset designed to be used for the first wave of 5G-enabled flagship devices.
The MediaTek 5G SoC comes with a built-in MediaTek Helio M70 5G modem. It supports LTE and 5G dual connectivity (EN-DC) with dynamic power sharing capability, plus multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G. It also has dynamic bandwidth switching technology that allocates 5G bandwidth required for specific applications to improve modem power efficiency by 50% and extend battery life. The chipset also includes ARM’s newest Cortex-A77 CPU, Mali-G77 GPU and MediaTek’s most advanced AI processing unit (APU) to meet the demands of the next-gen flagship devices.
MediaTek 5G SoC features:
• Helio M70 5G modem: MediaTek designed Helio M70 5G modem integrated into the SoC.
~ 4.7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds
~ Intelligent power savings and comprehensive power management
~ Multi-mode support – 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G – and dynamic power sharing for the best connectivity
• New AI architecture: Sports an all-new AI processing unit. Supports more advanced AI applications, including for imaging like de-blur so users get great shots even when subjects are moving fast.
• Latest CPU technology: MediaTek’s 5G SoC is a performance powerhouse with the just announced new Arm Cortex-A77 CPU.
• State-of-the-art GPU: A robust new Arm Mali-G77 GPU that enables seamless extreme streaming and gaming experiences at 5G speeds.
• Innovative 7nm FinFET: World’s first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.
• Speedy throughput: A peak throughput of 4.7Gps download (sub-6GHz) and New Radio (NR) 2 Component Carrier (CC) support. Supports both non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
• Powerful Multimedia & Imaging performance: Supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high-resolution camera (80MP).
The new chipset will be ready for lead customer samples in Q3 of 2019 and be in commercial devices by Q1 of 2020.