Aileen was telling me and Marc that her old and widely linked personal blog had a PR3 while her newer less linked work blog had a PR4. I tried explaining that it’s not the volume of links but the quality and (topical) relevance. Marc counters that relevance may not be part of the algorithmic factor in determining Page Rank. He had some real-life examples to show it. I have mine that proves the contrary.
Anyway, thanks to Eric Salas for emailing me this link from SEOMoz (didn’t have much time to check my feeds):
Top 10 Positive Factors
1. Keyword Use in Title Tag
2. Global Link Popularity of Site
3. Anchor Text of Inbound Link
4. Link Popularity within the Site’s Internal Link Structure
5. Age of Site
6. Topical Relevance of Inbound Links to Site
7. Link Popularity of Site in Topical Community
8. Keyword Use in Body Text
9. Global Link Popularity of Linking Site
10. Rate of New Inbound Links to Site
The survey represents the collective wisdom of 37 leaders in the world of organic search engine optimization. You can read details and the comments here.