After it’s successful release back in 2011, ADW Launcher has launched itself as one of Android’s premier third-party launchers due to it’s massive customization options and extremely efficient performance. However, due to years of inactive support, many people led to believe that the app’s development team is dead. That is not the case today. Now ADW Launcher is back with a massive changelog for it’s version 2.0 release.
So how, and why did the version 2.0 took this long? Well you see, back in 2011, work had already begun for Version 2.0 though it was never finished. Thankfully the creator finally took the time after seeing numerous good reviews and wants from the masses. Unfortunately, Version 2.0 is still a beta (but hey, that’s better than nothing right?), but we’re pretty sure after a few months or so, things will finally start to look up for the fans of the app.
Version 2.0 brings a whole new look and feel to the app. Asides from the massive customization features, one of the most interesting features of the app is that ADW allows the user to create your own custom widget within the app. Sounds great right?
Below is the changelog of Version 2.0, you could check out the ADW Blog for more details.
- New way to manage screens. Hold down an empty area of the desktop.
- New way to add widgets and shortcuts.
- New way to change the wallpaper, lock/unlock the desktop or access settings. Hold down an empty area of the desktop and choose the option.
- Added new icons effects section. You can choose image filters and compositions. Awesome!!!
- Dynamic UI coloring using wallpaper colors.
- Added fast scroll app drawer style.
- Added indexed fast scroll app drawer style.
- Added some desktop transitions.
- Added new section to configure icon badges.
- Added a visual mode to configure desktop, icon appearance, folder appearance, and app drawer options.
- Added option to change the top panel/widget.
- Added option to change the content type of bottom panel (dock/widget).
There are several more changes of the app and according to the devs, “Most of the application have been reprogrammed and redesigned from scratch”. So if you’re interested in trying out Version 2.0, kindly check out the beta right here.
Hopefully, by the time beta-testing has ended, we will be delivered with a highly-efficient, yet customizable app. Kudos to the dev team for finally making this come true after years of waiting.
Check out ADWLauncher’s “launch” vid below: