73% of Filipinos believe uncensored Internet is important

73% of Filipinos believe uncensored Internet is important

A recently released report by Pew Research Center has shown that 73% of Filipinos believe that it is important for the people to have access to the Internet without censorship or government interference.

PRC’s report examines whether people in emerging and developing economies think it is important that people have access to the Internet without government censorship. The surveys were conducted in 24 countries including the Philippines.

internet freedom_mashable_1
Image credit: Statista via Mashable


When asked with the question “How important is it to you that people have access to the internet without government censorship – very important, somewhat important, not too important or not important at all?”, 35% responded that it is ‘Very important’, while 38% responded that is ‘Somewhat important’, leading us to a total of 73%. As for the remaining, 23% responded that it is not important, while 4% offered no opinion. This puts us at rank with Malaysia but way below Venezuela’s level of advocacy at 89%.

What do you guys think of the report? Do you think its important for us Filipinos to have access to the Internet without any interference from the government? Share your thoughts below.

{via} {source}

This article was written by Louie Diangson, Managing Editor of YugaTech. You can follow him at @John_Louie.

You may also like...

15 Responses

  1. rafer says:

    damn right. the internet should always be uncensored. if there is shit in the internet, let’s say, child porn and shit, then punish the guy who published that said child porn shit and not the internet. the internet is a great thing, only problem is that there are a lot of dumbasses fucking things up.

    • eric jay says:

      wow! couldn’t agree more.

    • abuzalzal says:

      You cannot censor child porn because nobody hosts child porn.

      Sa underground nag-ooperate ang mga yan, tsaka they disguise their files kung gusto nilang ikalat sa internet

  2. Peter says:

    why wont government officials instead spend their time on creating laws to make internet connection faster rather than who-knows-what-for censorship and other no use laws.

  3. gino says:

    let’s take out the music industry by banning CDs in the mall since there are people who pirates a god damn CD

    • Hen-Sheen says:

      Instead, make CD, DVD, Blu-Ray players unaccessible to Pirated Media by creating a Lock-Out chip or program. They did it on PS Vita. It would be a matter of time before Pirated Stuff becomes extinct!

  4. Hen-Sheen says:

    Netflix wants the aid of the U.S. Government in promoting net neutrality by making their movies pay per view. I would like to point out that too much freedom in the internet is also not good for society; A Task Force would be created out of the ashes to monitor every user whether thier I.P.’s are in Stealth mode or not…

  5. abuzalzal says:

    Porn censorship could spark more censorship, ang siste diyan pag naumpisahan na, dagdag na ng dagdag ang NTC/Telco ang pwede nilang i-censor, not always necessarily pornography per se. Torrentsites, for example could be their next target.

    It is extremely important to keep our internet freedom intact

    • jrmagtago says:

      well tama ka parang sunod sunod nilang i-target na ipasasara/block ang mga websites pero gagawa tayo ng paraan para ma-access pa rin iyan lalo nat kung ma-block na pati social media which is our part of freedom of speech.Btw,nakakairita ang sinabi ng taga-NBI na gustong i ban lahat ng online game ukol sa topic na internet online game addiction lalo na ng mga menor de edad dahil pag ginawa iyon ay babagsak ang ekonomiya natin dahil tatamaan nito ang mga negosyante at internet users kaya di natin gusto iyon na suggestion nila na katangahan at katamaran kundi magpa classified ng mga online games na ano dapat ang laruin ng adult lalo nat sa minor at hindi ban ng mga sinasuggest ng mga tangang gobyerno.

  6. tarugo02 says:

    Heto talaga dakilang plagiarism… Image ng mashable ninakaw to the max…

  7. pong says:

    Di ba unconstitutional yung order ng NTC nang pang filter ng websites sa mga ISP? need nila nang court order para doon hinde lang block lang nang block.

  8. Yuj says:

    73% of Filipinos? How many filipinos have access to the internet and would be eligible for this statistical claim?
    Maybe 73% of those who have access to the internet is more like it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *