List of President Duterte’s Tech Promise
Filipinos tuned in yesterday as President Duterte delivered his first State of the Nation Address (SONA) where he laid out his plans for the country including those aimed to solve pressing issues concerning technology and infrastructure. Here’s a list of those plans we can look forward to.
* DICT to create a National Broadband Plan to accelerate the deployment of fiber optic cables and wireless technologies.
* Free WiFi access in selected public locations.
* Government agencies ordered to make use of computers to make it easier for citizens to avail of services.
* Government agencies are instructed to enable their clients to submit applications and forms online.
* Establishment of 8888 hotline to receive people’s complaint about government agencies.
* Nationwide implementation of 911 hotline for emergencies.
* Lengthening the validity of passports to 10 years.
* Lengthening the effectiveness of driver’s licenses to 5 years.
* Building of rail projects in Metro Manila and major key points in the country including Mindanao Rail Project.
* Tickets for rail systems to be made readily available and easily accessible in malls and stalls.
* Different approaches considered to decongest NAIA.
* Passing of a bill to create the People’s Broadcasting Corporation (PBC), replacing PTV 4.
These are just some of the plans President Duterte has for the country. Let’s hope that everything will be accomplished soon or during his term.