What will happen to Globe Visibility Unlimited?
People have been asking that since Globe Visibility has obviously moved into the flat prepaid and tiered postpaid models, what will happen to subscribers who are on the GV Unlimited plans?
Well, they will all remain on their current subscription plans until the end of their locked-up contract. After which, Globe will be offering them a new post-paid plan on top of the existing one. Inside sources would not give details of what this new Globe Visibility plans will be but I reckon that it better be something of a close match to that of the unlimited or else they’d get a lot of flak from it.
My guess is that, and this is based on their new postpaid plans, it will be in the vicinity of a special GV Plan 1999 with at least 200 internet hours free. That puts it down to about 6 hours and 40 minutes of free mobile 3G internet per day. It’s still going to be a downgrade from the unlimited plans though but could be bearable.
One curious question here though is why is Globe abandoning the eat-all-you can model for mobile 3G internet? Could be a combination of several factors which might include:
- Bandwidth problems? We’ve heard them cap bandwidth allocation to 5GB before (not sure if this was pushed thru). If it’s true that 10% of subscribers are eating up imore than 10GB a month and overloading the network, it makes sense for Globe to sacrifice these 10% to improve network quality for the rest of the 90%. Bold move but it will nonetheless ease up bandwidth traffic congestion.
- Slow subscriber takeup? With so many options for getting mobile 3G in the Philippines, subscribers have more choices for their 3G connectivity. Follows the economics of supply & demand.
- Prepaid eating up PostPaid? If this trend holds true to regular mobile subscribers, it might also be happening with 3G consumers. In the Philippines, prepaid mobile users rule with over 98% of all subscribers versus just 2% for postpaid. This means the battle for 3G consumers is happening and will be won in the prepaid scene so telcos are focusing on this segment.
I’m not really sure what’s happening here but with the current competition and choice, whoever brings the best/widest coverage at reasonable prices will take home the bigger piece of the pie.
I’m already sold with the pricing, just give me better 3G/HSDPA coverage.