Why all the blog-related ads?
More than half the time, Adsense ads on this blog are displaying mostly blog-related adverts, especially the Link Ad Units. I used to wonder about that and even used the section targetting feature with very little success.
Then I realized that becaus eof the contextual targetting nature of AdSense, you’d be hard-pressed to avoid those blog-related ads. The whole site is reaking with the word blog and blog-related keywords. So, I logged-in to my AdWords account and check for the usual suspects if they are being used for the campaign.
This gives us the hint that the density of these keywords will ultimately lead to a blog-related ad.
- The URL of the site has the word blog in it. I notice that the words in URL is a great factor with how Google AdSense take the context of the page.
- Each entry has the words “comment/s” and “posted/post/s”. These words are on the top of the keyword density list.
- Your category lists will most probably have Blog News, Blog Rolls, Blogging, etc.
- You’d most probably have mentioned the word blog in half your entries.
- You most probably have the word WordPress or MovableType somewhere in your navigation bar or footer.
So, what to do to get rid of them blog-related ads? Or at least minimize their likelihood of showing up? Unfortunately, I don’t know else i would have already got rid of them here. :D
However, I believe that if you can minimize the incidence of these keywords ever showing up in your blog, then, you have a better chance.
How about changing the word comment/s to reply/replies or write website/site/blogsite rather than constantly repeat blog. Then, avoid domains or sub-domains with the word blog in them — something I should really take into consideration more often. Or how about use text-images instead of words? That way, you still retain the words but the Googlebots won’t be able to read them.