US to ban TikTok and WeChat on September 20
In compliance with the previous executive order of President Donald Trump, the Commerce Department of the United States of America has released its latest regulations that ban TikTok and WeChat in the country.
Starting September 20, 2020, those who are residing in the US, as well as on its territories, won’t be able to access TikTok and WeChat on the app stores such as Google Play Store and Apple Store. Those who already downloaded the may apps may still access it. However, they won’t be able to receive further updates for it.
The US government will also prohibit the hosting or transferring internet traffic, content delivery network services, and usage of US software or services with WeChat. The same restrictions will take effect for TikTok on November 12, 2020.
Further prohibitions relating to WeChat or TikTok could be announced anytime soon. Other app which may replicate WeChat or TikTok outside the scope of these executive orders will also be restricted.
President Donald Trump has provided a deadline to TikTok until November 12, 2020 to address the administration’s concerns for national security. Previously, Oracle has won the bid to operate TikTok in the US.
The ban may only be lifted to TikTok once the US government sees that the company is doing something to resolve the security issues.
According to the report of CNN, TikTok is disappointed with the current announcement of the US government. “Our community of 100 million US users love TikTok because it’s a home for entertainment, self-expression, and connection,” the company said. “…and we’re committed to protecting their privacy and safety as we continue working to bring joy to families and meaningful careers to those who create on our platform.”
Tencent, on the other hand, is reviewing the ban enumerated by the Commerce Department.
“The restrictions announced today are unfortunate, but given our desire to provide ongoing services to our users in the US — for whom WeChat is an important communication tool — we will continue to discuss with the government and other stakeholders in the US ways to achieve a long-term solution,” WeChat owner Tencent said in the same CNN report.
Sources: US Commerce Department, CNN