If the Internet Existed in Westeros
The recent conclusion of the sixth season of Game of Thrones has left fans craving for more. Fan theories have been both confirmed and debunked this season, and with the show’s epic finale, we are left wishing for Season 7 to come out already.
The strategic maneuvers of the characters are part of what makes the show appealing to viewers. But what if Game of Thrones happened in a more contemporary setting, with our well-loved characters having access to smartphones, laptops, and yep – the internet?
Here are some hilarious scenarios that first came to our minds if ever the internet existed in Westeros:
• Jon Snow would be lured by a clickbait saying “Uncle Benjen Stark resurfaces after missing for years. You won’t believe what he looks like now!” He’s disappointed to find out it only leads to a website made by Jon Snow haters.
• Melisandre loves how the LOL (Lord of Light) app makes her selfies look younger and fairer. One time though, she forgets to apply the filter and her followers are horrified at her #NoFilter look.
• Joffrey Baratheon would be featured in that “Rich Kids of Westeros” article of Buzzfeed, along with Robin Arryn, and the Sand Snakes.
• Jon Snow would rally the Northern Houses against Ramsay through a Facebook event. Lord Glover, Lord Manderly, and Lord Kerwin declines. Only Lyanna Mormont clicks “Going”.
• After defeating Ramsay Bolton, Jon Snow would call for a Skype call among all the Northern Houses and the Wildlings to discuss an alliance.
• The wildlings have no idea what a Skype call is. “Is it like mIRC?” Tormund asks.
• Lady Lyanna Mormont’s inspiring speech at the meeting of the Northern Houses would go viral. She would later on have a guesting at Ellen where she’ll talk about how accomplished she is at such a young age.
• Small council meetings would be held over WebEx.
• Arya would have a Wunderlist app on her phone.
• Jorah the Mormont would be Googling “disease symptoms with dry, scaly skin” and be alarmed to find out he has Greyscale.
• Tyrion would be cyber-bullied all the time by Lannister-haters.
• Cersei would have a nude-photo scandal. Searches for “Cersei Lannister naked” will spike for days after her Walk of Shame.
• Varys would always be on Twitter, scrolling through the tweets of his “little birds” to know the latest gossip around Westeros and across the Narrow Sea.
• Daenerys would be on LinkedIn, where she’ll proudly list down all her credentials – Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, The Unburnt Queen of the Andals…the list goes on! She’d also use the site to look for potential recruits with the right qualifications.
• She’d also be using Waze to get back to King’s Landing, which is why she’s making a lot of complicated detours along the way.
• Loras Tyrell would be on Grindr. His profile describes him as a “discreet, athletic high-born who’s up for fun. Recently single”.
• A “Raven” would be an email platform.
• Poser accounts would be all over Facebook. People say they are actually an organized group called “The Faceless Men”
• Bran Stark would be an avid user of Uber. He’s thinking of creating his own e-hailing app and plans to call it “Hoder”.
• Bran’s Nike app would show that he has travelled many miles yet it still has 0 steps.
• Bran would get addicted to Timehop.
• Hodor uses Dubsmash to communicate.
• With his good looks, celebrity-status, and money, it’s no wonder Jamie Lannister is the most-followed person on Instagram. His latest commercial is for VISA, where he says the tagline, “A Lannister always pays his debts”.
• The Mountain’s Instagram account would be full of gym selfies, and would occasionally include an unimpressed-looking Cersei.
• The Dothraki would get easily offended by racist comments.
• The White Walkers would be in Creepypasta subreddits. Rumors say they can bring back the dead, and that they have been spotted several times north of The Wall.
• Coronation ceremonies and trials would be streamed live over Facebook and Youtube.
• Houses would have logos instead of sigils.
How do you think Westeros would be like if they had internet? Share them with us in the comments!