RIM introduces BBM Voice
RIM has introduced a new feature for its popular BlackBerry Messenger app called BBM Voice which allows you to call BBM friends for free over WiFi.
Current BlackBerry Messenger services only allows you to send messages, voice notes, images and videos for free to other BBM users anywhere in the globe. Now RIM is upgrading its BBM app to version 7 which will now allow free voice chats over WiFi through a feature called BBM Voice.
Below are some of BBM Voice’s notable features:
- Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
- The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
- BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
- BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- If it’s not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.
BBM 7 also has BlackBerry ID integration so you can easily back up your BBM profile, groups and contacts and restore it in case you switch to a new BlackBerry device.
As of the moment, BBM 7 with BBM Voice is still in Beta and can only be downloaded from BlackBerry Beta Zone.