Apple releases iOS 13.6, iPadOS 13.6, with Digital Car Keys, Health app updates, and fixes
Apple has just released its latest iOS version 13.6, featuring the new digital car keys feature, health features, bug fixes, and quality of life improvements.
Among the new features is Apple’s new Digital Car Keys feature, which allows users to unlock, lock, and start their cars with their iPhones through the use of NFC. Users may also share the digital key via iMessage to allow others to drive their car with restricted access. It also includes a power reserve feature that lets users unlock and start their cars up to five hours after the iPhone runs out of battery.
The Apple Health app has also been updated to now include a new category called symptoms. Users can take down and log their new symptoms such as fever, coughing, sore throat, and share them with third-party apps. It also has options for include symptoms logged from Cycle Tracking and ECG.
US users also get the new Apple News+ feature, that narrates the best reads from Apple News+. It’s compatible with Apple Car Play as well, allowing users to hear curated news while traveling to work.
Lastly, the iOS 13.6 update includes several bug fixes and quality of life improvements. These include:
- Adds a new setting to choose if updates automatically download to your device when on Wi-Fi
- Addresses an issue that could cause apps to become unresponsive when syncing data from iCloud Drive
- Fixes an issue that could cause data roaming to appear to be disabled on eSIM even though it remained active
- Fixes an issue that causes some phone calls from Saskatchewan to appear as originating from the United States
- Addresses an issue that could interrupt audio when making phone calls over Wi-Fi Calling
- Fixes an issue that prevented some iPhone 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi Calling
- Resolves an issue that could cause the software keyboard to appear unexpectedly when connected to certain third-party hardware keyboards
- Fixes an issue that could cause Japanese hardware keyboards to be incorrectly mapped as a U.S. keyboard
- Addresses stability issues when accessing Control Center when Assistive Touch was enabled
- Provides a mechanism for administrators to specify domains to exclude from traffic carried by always-on VPN connections
Meanwhile, the iPadOS 13.6 update includes the Apple News+ update, and non-call/SIM related fixes and improvements.
To check for the update, go to Settings –> General –> Software Update.