web analytics

Duterte offers China to become 3rd telco in the Philippines




Earlier today, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that President Rodrigo Duterte wants China to become the third telecommunications operator in the Philippines.

Image via ABS-CBN News

According to Roque, Presidente Duterte has already made a proposal to Chinese Premier Li Keqiang during a bilateral meeting in Malacañang last Nov. 15. The president also offered to China the privilege to enter as the third telecoms carrier in the country since China “has the capital and the technology to provide efficient telecoms service” and that “no doubt that they are among the biggest in the world.”

The said Chinese telecommunications company is still unknown and it will compete with two duopoly of Globe Telecom Inc. and PLDT Inc.

The president also mentioned in his September 29 CNN interview that he wants a cheap yet fast internet connection for everyone and the only way fix the dilemma is to introduce a new competition.

Source: CNN PH, ABS-CBN News



Alyza is a Multimedia Producer for YugaTech. You can follow her at @tadboring.

You may also like...

7 Responses

  1. SunCell Subscriber says:

    Welcome back to the Philippines, ZTE! hahaha!

  2. Jude says:

    A 3rd telco is welcome. but a chinese telco? hindi ko ata gusto desisyon ni digong.

  3. marvin says:

    South Korean Telco please.

  4. Jess says:

    A new competitor will not necessarily lead to better services from telcos. Unknown to many, a huge percentage of PLDT and Globe’s profits already go to system upgrade, repair, maintenance and construction of cell sites. Less revenue will just lead to less money for these things.

    • Rp says:

      From what I have read, almost 60 or 70 percent of earnings are given as dividends to the stockholders of smart and globe. The remaining 30 percent are what they use to upgrade or reinvest on their business. Whereas sa iba pang malalaking company nasa below 30 percent lng binibigay na parang payout sa investors.

    • jake says:

      tuta ng pldt/globe…

  5. K L says:

    Si Salaluma maka globe parin kaya hindi pinirmahan yung sa facebook agreement nung 2016… tsk tsk, fixed broadband naman sana maimprove fiber/vdsl only na dapat wala ng ADSL na low upload.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Open

Close