Finding good use of feed readers.
I never really believed in using or providing RSS/Atom feeds to my regular readers because I feel that it’s not healthy for my blog traffic. I used to think that:
- Using RSS feeds could reduce pageviews of your blog.
- RSS readers are sometimes delayed and not updated. This could give an impression that your blog has not been updated when in fact you have just done so.
- RSS feeds do not provide you with any form of revenue, unless you’re into AdSense for feeds or something similar.
- Not too many people know RSS, much more use it.
- Providing feeds allow other unscrupulous bloggers to scrape your site easily. Seen a couple of them scraping AdSense-related posts from my blog before.
- Feeds do not show other cosmetic changes you make on your blog. It defeats the whole blogging experiencing without the eye-candy part.
I have a lot of other reasons before about not using RSS or Atom feeds. One of them was actually adapting to a new blog reading habit.
This perception has been reversed only recently. I realized that I myself have been having a hard time tracking all the blogs I read and using feed readers such as FeedDemon and Newsgator/Google Reader has significantly help me read more or cover more blogs.
Ever since, I’ve encouraged other people to use feed readers as well. Mine’s FeedDemon for my desktop and Newsgator/Google reader for web. What’s yours?