An iPhone 7 Plus catches fire, Apple already ‘looking into’ it
A viral video online shows a rose gold iPhone 7 Plus slowly melting a plastic case as the unit itself is catching on fire.
So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning ???? was not even using it, literally no explanation for this pic.twitter.com/sQ8CJt4Y69
— Bree? (@briannaolivas_) February 23, 2017
Brianna Olivas, the owner of the faulty device, says the phone exploded and began smoking even though it’s not charging on a Wednesday morning. According to her, the accident began the day before when her iPhone 7 Plus wouldn’t turn on. She then took the phone to an Apple Store to ran diagnostics but she was told that everything’s fine. The phone appeared to be working normally again until the next morning.
“The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser,” she said via a direct message on Twitter. “He went the the [sic] restroom … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom … as soon as he threw it in the restroom is [sic] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.”
Good news is that her phone was already replaced and Apple representatives are already looking into the matter. Let’s hope this is just an isolated case and not another series of exploding phones.