ASUS quietly launches ZenFone Ares in Taiwan
ASUS has a knack for stealthily launching new devices and the new victim to this style is the ZenFone Ares. The device debuted out of the blue in Taiwan and focuses on Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR), much like the gimmick of the ZenFone AR.
Sadly, the ZenFone Ares also followed in the footsteps of the ZenFone AR and uses an already aged Snapdragon 821 chipset but with 8GB of RAM. As for the rest of the specs, we got a 5.7-inch 16:9 aspect ratio Super AMOLED QHD display, 128GB of UFS 2.0 internal storage, DTS Headphone:X 7.1 channel surround sound, Android Nougat, and a 3,300mAh battery.
The star of the show is the 23MP PixelMaster 3.0 high-resolution rear camera as it has support for motion tracking and depth sensing, which is the main component for the phone’s AR and VR features. The front camera, on the other hand, is a standard 8MP shooter.
ZenFone Ares specifications
- 5.7-inch Super AMOLED 16:9 QHD display @ 2560 x 1440 resolution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 2.4GHz quad-core processor
- Adreno 530 GPU
- 8GB of RAM
- 128GB UFS 2.0 internal storage, expandable up to 2TB
- 23MP PixelMaster 3.0 high-resolution rear camera with LED flash, motion tracking, and depth sensing
- 8MP front camera
- 4G VoLTE
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth 4.2
- GPS, A-GPS, NFC
- Fingerprint sensor
- DTS Headphone: X 7.1 channel surround sound
- Android Nougat
- 3,300mAh battery with Quick charge 3.0
- 158.67 x 77.4 x 8.95 mm
The ZenFone Ares will be sold through Taiwanese local retailers with a price tag of TWD 9,999 (~Php 17,784). Local pricing and availability are yet to be announced.