Huawei Mate X now official
Huawei’s version of a foldable phone is now official, and it’s aptly called the Mate X.
The Mate X, similar to the Galaxy Fold, turns into a more prominent 8-inch display once unfolded from its 6.6-inch and 6.32-inch estates. Unlike the latter, though, it’s capable of having expandable storage through its proprietary nano-memory (NM) cards. It also sports 5G capability with its Kirin 980 chip embedded with the company’s Balong 5000 5G modem. Similar to the Mate series, the phone also sports triple Leica cameras.
The company also touts to have a thinner folding hinge, thanks to its ‘falcon wing’ mechanism that is said to bring a better back-to-back fold without any gaps. This enables the company to tout the device thickness of 11 millimeters, even when folded. Its battery is also not to be shadowed, as the company promotes faster charging that delivers from 0% to 85% in just 30 minutes.
Huawei Mate X key specs:
- 8-inch 8:7.1 AMOLED screen @ 2480 x 2200 px (unfolded)
- 6.6-inch 19.5:9 display @ 2480 x 1148 px (front, when folded)
- 6.4-inch 25:9 display @ 2480 x 892 px (back, when folded)
- Octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 980 5G chip
2x Cortex A76 2.6GHz + 2x Cortex A76 1.92GHz + 4x Cortex A55 1.8GHz
Balong 5000 5G modem
- 8GB RAM
- 512GB storage
- expandable via Huawei NM up to 256GB (uses SIM2)
- 40MP (Wide Angle Lens, f/1.8) + 20MP (Ultra Wide Angle Lens, f/2.2) + 8MP (Telephoto, f/2.4) Leica Triple cameras, AI Stabilization
- Dual SIM (hybrid, nano), Dual Standby
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Dual-band GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Fingerprint sensor
- USB 3.1 Type-C
- EMUI 10 (Android 9 Pie)
- 4,500mAh Li-Po battery
55W Fast Charge
Huawei will launch the Mate X this mid-year in key countries with a EUR 2,299 price tag, or roughly Php135,700 when directly converted.