Facebook has announced a new feature called Messenger Rooms for group video calls, as well as improvements on WhatsApp group calls and new live video features for Facebook, Instagram, and Portal.
Facebook Messenger Rooms allows you to create a room straight from Messenger or Facebook. Users can invite anyone to join a video call, even if they don’t have a Facebook account. Rooms can be shared on the News Feed, Groups, and Events, and can accommodate up to 50 people with no time limit. AR effects will still be available as well as AI-powered 360 backgrounds and mood lighting.
Facebook says that they’re planning to create rooms for Instagram Direct, WhatsApp, and Portal.
Improvements on WhatsApp
Facebook is also expanding WhatsApp Group Calls and will soon allow users to have secured group voice and video calls with up to eight people.
New Live Video Features for Facebook, Instagram, and Portal
• Facebook is bringing back Live With, so users can add another person in a live video.
• Users can mark Facebook Events as online only with Facebook Live integration.
• Users can add a donate button to live videos for nonprofit fundraisers.
• Users now have an option to listen to the audio-only of a live video, which is good for those with limited data or spotty connection.
• Livestream games from your phone using the Facebook Gaming app for Android.
• Expansion of Stars to more Pages and more countries, to help support creators.
• Users can watch and comment on live videos from the desktop,
• Users can save their live videos to IGTV
• Users can go live from Portal to Facebook Pages and Groups.