AdSense for PhotoBlogs
A lot of people have this opinion that PhotoBlogs or Photo Galleries would not go well with Adsense since there aren’t enough readable text (by GoogleBot) for contextual advertisements. While I may partly agree to that opinion, I believe it is still possible to get significant earnings from AdSense thru PhotoBlogs and Photo Galleries.
In the recent months that I have integrated AdSense with my Photo Gallery, I noticed several trends and user behaviors that significantly affects click-through rates. Here are some fo my observations:
- Your gallery or photoblog should have text descriptions and tags. These are the ones that are crawled by search engine bots and important for contextual ads.
- Custom URLs (using mod_rewrite) helps a lot.
- File naming of images and pictures for better searchability.
- Pictures of people aren’t really hot, except if these people are popular. (e.g. PBB housemates, celebs, Tweety Bird, etc.)
- Stock photos are hot – common pictures of places, sceneries, objects and food are frequently searched. (on top of my keyword list are California Maki, Apple Pie, Starbucks, Baby pics, La Paz Batchoy, Yellow Cab Pizza, Hong Kong Disneyland, Strawberry, etc.)
- Linking from related blog posts to the gallery for better SERPs.
- Optimized AdSense placement in the gallery for higher CTR.
Have been chatting with some people earning significantly thru their photo galleries (in the thousands of pictures). Mine’s just over 500 pictures and it’s already hitting significant amount of traffic and AdSense revenues.
That’s another reason why you should ditch Flickr and set up your own photoblog or photo gallery.