Blogs to overtake Forums?
With the current trends in surfing habits nowadays, will it be a close possibility that blogs will soon overtake forums. At least in temrs of traffic and sticky-ness. I was asked that same question during the 1st Blogging Summit and if I remember it right, I said that there weren’t any strong signs of it then.
Now, I am inclined to side with blogs for the following reasons.
- Blogs carry on the credibility and journalistic prowess of the blogger. Forums are a hodge-podge.
- Blogs tend to go higher on SERPs than forums because of custom URLs and mod_rewrite. Forums are doomed with thread IDs and topic IDs.
- RSS aggregation helps.
- Blogs are now as popular as forums were 3 years ago and IRC 5 years ago.
- You can get much more influential people to get involved with blogs than with forums.
- Blogging is a medium. Forums, not likely.
However, the only benefit I am seeing with forums right now is that most (if not all) of my “technical research” are found there, with people sharing technical infos and how to’s with the community. Likewise, I am able to post a question about a certain problem and get answers or suggestions from people who are expert in the field or who have experienced the same problem.
These are just my observations though. I used to be very active with forums four or five years ago but now I seldom visit them. My regular surfing and online reading has now almost revolve around blogging.