MediaTek unveils Helio G85 gaming chipset
MediaTek has unveiled the latest addition to its gaming G line of chipsets, the G85.
Sitting closer to the G80 than the G90, the Helio G85 sports two Arm Cortex-A75 processors clocked at 2GHz, six Cortex-A55 processors clocked at 1.8GHz, and a 1GHz GPU. Like other G-series chipsets from MediaTek, it comes with the HyperEngine that prioritizes sustained performance for a smoother gaming experience. It also comes with several other features, including:
- AI Camera – Boosts the performance of AI camera tasks, including object recognition via Google Lens, smart photo albums, scene detection and segmentation, background removal, and bokeh shot enhancements.
- Multi-camera support – Helio G85-based smartphones can be equipped with any mix of cameras, including wide-angle, telescopic, and macro, with sensor sizes up to 48MP. The chipset also includes hardware accelerators, including a depth engine for dual-camera bokeh and fast recording up to 240fps.
- Integrated Voice Wakeup – Minimizes the power of applications such as the always-on Google Assistant.
- Inertial Navigation – The inertial navigation is capable of accurately tracking the users even when underground, driving through tunnels, or any other situations where GNSS services are unavailable.
- Dual 4G SIM – The Helio G85 supports dual 4G SIM, allowing users a more reliable coverage while maintaining a lower power consumption from either SIM connection.
The MediaTek Helio G85 will debut in Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 9, with more devices expected in the coming months.