Vivo NEX officially announced
Vivo’s newest flagship phone has just been announced, and it’s the APEX concept phone now known as the Vivo NEX.
The newly-announced smartphone was first demonstrated at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona last February with a concept that further pushes the envelope for all-screen smartphones, bearing a near bezel-less display that achieved a 91.24 percent of screen-to-body ratio. This is made possible by putting the necessary sensors underneath the display, and modifying the front camera placement in such a way that it only elevates from the phone’s body once it’s needed.
The NEX will come in two different variants with the flagship one called NEX S (NEX Ultimate in China) being equipped with notable top-line hardware — an under-display fingerprint scanner, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chip, and a whopping 256GB of internal storage. There’s also a dedicated button for its AI assistant called Jovi. Like with other Vivo phones, it possesses Ai-based features for camera, apps, and photo compilation. The other variant called NEX A (NEX FullScreen in China) sports a lower configuration with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 710, 6GB of RAM, and 128GB of internal storage in tow. The fingerprint scanner is also placed at the back of the device rather than under the display. Both feature dual rear cameras with four-axis optical image stabilization, an eight-megapixel selfie camera that pops out as you need it, and a 4000mAh battery.
Vivo NEX specs:
- 6.59-inch sAMOLED Ultra FullView Display @ 2316 × 1080 px
- 2.8Ghz Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 or 2.2Ghz Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 710
- 6GB (NEX A), 8GB (NEX S) RAM
- 128GB, 256GB internal storage
- 12MP f/1.8 + 5MP f/2.4 dual rear cameras with LED Flash, 4-axis OIS
- 8MP f/2.0 pop-out front camera
- 4G LTE
- Dual-band WiFi
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GPS, GLONASS
- Rear Fingerprint scanner (NEX A)
- Under-display fingerprint scanner (NEX S)
- USB OTG
- Vivo FunTouch OS 4.0 (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- 4000mAh battery
- 162 × 77 × 7.98mm
- Colors: Ruby Red, Star Diamond Black (NEX Fullscreen); Star Diamond Black (NEX Ultimate)
The Vivo NEX will initially be available China starting June 23rd with prices as follows: CNY3,898 (~Php32,300) for the 6GB/128GB NEX A CNY4,498 (~Php37,300) for the NEX S with 8GB/128GB combo, and CNY4,998 (~Php41,400) for the higher 8GB/256GB model. No word yet if these phones will reach other markets in the future.