web analytics

ASUS goes technical with its STRIX GTX 980 Ti graphics card




The most popular graphics brand in 3DMark benchmarking, ASUS, recently held a seminar that shows just what the recently-launched STRIX GTX 980 Ti graphics card is truly made of and what exactly makes it a commendable upgrade. The company highlighted some very technical breakdown of their new innovations and what these would mean for the performance of the card.

asus-strix-graphics-card-2

Teased at Computex early this year and then officially launched last July, the ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti graphics card boasts a brand-spanking new DirectCU III cooler that features a large heatsink for what the company says targets a direct and more efficient heat transfer if pitted against other graphics cards.

asus-strix-graphics-card-1

It’s also got numerous heatpipes with the primary ones sized at 10mm and 8mm, with secondary 6mm heatpipes. The primary pipes has a QMAX of 70W~100W and dissipates 70% of the heat, while the secondary ones have QMAX of 40W~50W and moves the remaining 30% of the heat.

asus-strix-graphics-card-4

In addition, these DirectCU pipes now have increased heat transfer efficiency thanks to its high capillarity and high permeability capabilities. This came from taking only the best attributes from sintered powder heatpipes and groove heatpipes.

asus-strix-graphics-card-5

What ASUS is also front-lining during the technical seminar is the graphics card’s wing-blade fan design that produces a 105% improvement in air pressure on the edge for cooling down the rig. These trio of fans have a larger 250.04mm size (compared to 198.29mm size of conventional designs) and a 37% smaller projected gap area of 80.89mm (as opposed to the others’ 128.44mm)

asus-strix-graphics-card-6


Moreover, the company boasts that the manufacturing process of these graphics cards are top-notch mainly because they’ve already switched to 100% automation — meaning their products are 100% machine-built, is specific down to the very last detail, and is free from human error in the process of production.

Below are some of the innovations ASUS has introduced in terms of components modification and manufacturing reformation:

Components modification in all aspect:

  • Pin structure
  • High-temp tolerance material
  • Weight distribution
  • Electrical characteristics
  • Tray plate

Manufacturing reformation:

  • Solder paste stencil design
  • Surface mounter machine optimization
  • Optical inspection machine tuning
  • Reflow carrier design change
  • Reflow profile optimization
  • PCB routing method/design change

asus-strix-graphics-card-7

Also a part of the bundle, users will have access to GPU Tweak II which now has a new and gamer-friendly interface. Here you can choose between different modes like overclocking, gaming, etc and display factual data while the rig is in use.

asus-strix-graphics-card-8

There’s also the Gaming Booster function that tweaks your computer’s settings to boost the performance of the game you’re running. Additionally you’ll also be able to defrag your memory without having the need to stop everything you’re doing and close all the processes. Just run the defragmentation process and it would sort out your files for an overall better performance of your machine.

So that’s basically it for this new graphics card. To get to know more of the company’s gaming components, you may visit the official ROG website here.

 



Kevin Bruce Francisco is the Senior Editor and Video Producer for YugaTech. He's a Digital Filmmaking graduate who's always either daydreaming of traveling or actually going places on his bike. Follow him on Twitter for more tech updates @kevincofrancis.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Open

Close