AMD Offiicially Announces Carrizo APU
W Hotel Singapore – During the #FutureofCompute event, Joe Macri gave attendees a sneak-peek at the chipmaker’s latest Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) which is dubbed as Carrizo.
Although Macri didn’t give the audience the entire details of the company’s new APU, his presentation gives us a quick overview of some of the things we can expect from it.
* Single, scalable infrastructure shared with Carrizo -L
* New Excavator core optimized for low power notebook/convertible form factors.
* Next-generation AMD Radeon Graphics Core Next with support for Mantle DirectX 12, and Dual Graphics.
* Single-chip integration of the APU and the Southbridge onto a single die.
* Significant performance and battery life improvements.
* First processor in the world with full HSA 1.0 support.
* AMD Secure Processor, leveraging ARM TrustZone technology for Enterprise-class security.
We’ll try to get more information about the AMD Carrizo, so do stay tune.
Update: the new Carrizo chips that were announced yesterday are meant for the mobile segment (notebook PCs and hybrid laptops).
Update #2: Carrizo and Carrizo-L will share the same design aimed for improving the energy efficiency. However, it will not be compatible with older sockets because of its new design.