GoPro HERO4 to get new features from a free update
For those that already own the latest action camera from GoPro, you’d be happy to know that the two variants of the HERO4 will receive new features from an update free of charge!
TechCrunch was able to talk to a staff from GoPro at CES which gave a rundown on the update:
Coming to both (Black and Silver) models:
- Time Lapse Video — GoPro cameras have pretty much always done time lapse stuff, but they’ve always come out as a series of photos that you had to manually put together into a video. You can now save your time lapse as a video automatically, instead.
- 30/6 Burst mode Snap 30 photos in six seconds. While the HERO4 can already shoot as fast as 30 photos in one second, this mode is meant for snapping photos of sports with crazy long airtimes, like snowboarding or dirtbiking.
- Auto-rotate: A feature I’ve wanted in a GoPro for years. The camera can now sense if it’s mounted upside down, and auto-rotate video accordingly. According to a beta tester we spoke to about the update, the orientation will lock as soon as you hit record (otherwise, it’d flip all over the place mid-video)
Meanwhile, each model is getting a few unique tweaks.
Coming to just the HERO4 Black:
- 240 FPS video recording at 720p for super slowmotion but still high-res stuff
- 60 FPS video recording at 2.7k
Coming to just the HERO4 Silver:
- The ability to mark highlights while recording by tapping the touch screen. Makes it easier to scrub right to the good stuff when you’re recording for hours at a time.