Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Portable Hard Drive Quick Review
Seagate has been known to have a wide portfolio of portable hard drives in their Backup Plus Family line. And now they are looking to change the competition by introducing the World’s Largest Capacity portable drive.
Meet the newest member of the Backup Plus Family Line — the Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5TB.
Like it’s siblings The Backup Plus 5TB is supported by Seagates Dashboard App. The app is available to both Windows and Mac and offers a variety of features to further utilize and maximize your portable drive.
The Dashboard’s Features are as follows:
- PC Backup (Only available to Windows Users) – Creates a backup of your data files to the Portable Drive, you have two options here:
- Protect Now – The dashboard would begin backing up all of your personal files and would continuously backup any new or changed files.
- Create a Backup Plan– This would allow you to create a custom backup plan where you could choose when and what files to backup.
You also have an option to upload your backup via Cloud. Mac users are advised to use Apple Time Machine to backup their files.
- Mobile Backup – This would require you to create a Seagate account and download the Seagate backup mobile app on the device you wish to backup. This is basically the mobile version of the PC Backup wherein instead of your personal PC files it would back app your mobile content into the Portable Drive or Cloud.
- Social – This option would allow you to upload and download your media files from your Social Media accounts such as Facebook or Flickr via your Portable Drive.
- Restore – This basically restores any backup currently saved on your Portable Drive.
Bigger than usual
Even though the Backup Plus Portable line of Seagate is bulkier (at 20.5mm) and heavier (247grams) than most of its siblings, it’s still light and portable enough to carry around. It may not fit in your favorite purse but it would still fit in any small sized bag.
at 5TB this Backup Plus Portable is the biggest drive available in the market to date. In this era of 4k Videos and AAA games, you would be glad to have a drive big enough to store them in. This is also a better alternative than lugging around and plugging in 2-3 different Portable Drives.
Now for the beefy part, the speed results of the Backup Plus Portable 5TB.
Crystal Disk Mark 5.2.1
Sequential Read: 147.4MB/s
Sequential Write: 140.9MB/s
4kb Random Read: 0.5MB/s
4kb Random Write: 5.1MB/s
These are pretty good numbers for an HDD especially for it’s Sequential Read/Write speeds as the average speed of a 5400rpm drive is considered to be at 100MB/s. Theoretically it would take around 14 hours for the Drive to completely read its entire capacity.
For real world performances we tested how long it would take to copy a 5gb and 10gb sized folders to and from the PC and the Drive. The drive was connected through a USB 3.0 port, expect lower speeds when connected to a 2.0 port.
It took exactly 2 minutes and 53 seconds to copy a 10gb folder into the Drive and 2 minutes and 3 seconds to copy the same file from it. For the 5gb folder it took exactly 1 minutes and 31 seconds to copy it into the drive and exactly 1 minutes and 15 seconds to copy from it. These results could be considered above average for a 5400rpm drive.
This drive is a content creator and gamer’s dream, it has enough storage to keep at least most, if not all, of your videos, games, and files. But even if you are the average consumer this is still a portable drive to consider — despite its size, it is still portable enough to carry around and it makes backing up and restoring files easy and convenient via the Seagate Dashboard App.
Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5TB specs:
2.5″ Hard Drive
USB 2.0 & 3.0 Support
Blue, Black, Red, Silver Colors
Windows and macOS Support
247 grams (weight)
Pricing and Availability
Update: The Portable Drive would be available in the market come August 2017 with an SRP of Php 11,990.