Disney+ streaming service to launch on November 12
The Walt Disney Company has announced that their Disney+ streaming service will launch in the U.S. market on November 12, 2019.
The service will be similar to Netflix and will contain content from entertainment brands, including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic, and will be available on connected TV and mobile devices. Users will be able to create custom profiles, with each receiving personalized experiences curated to their preferences based on past behaviors and preferred content.
Disney says that it will release more than 25 original series and 10 original films, documentaries and specials in its first year. The company also announced new original titles for Disney+:
From Marvel Studios:
• The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, a live-action series with Anthony Mackie returning as Falcon and Sebastian Stan reprising his role as Winter Soldier
• WandaVision, a live-action series with Elizabeth Olsen returning as Wanda Maximoff and Paul Bettany reprising his role as The Vision
• Marvel’s What If…?, the first animated series from Marvel Studios and takes inspiration from the comic books of the same name. Each episode will explore a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and turn it on its head, leading the audience into uncharted territory.
From Walt Disney Animation Studios:
• Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2, a documentary series showing the hard work and imagination that go into making one of the most highly anticipated Walt Disney Animation Studios features of all time
From Pixar Animation Studios:
• Toy Story-based projects Forky Asks a Question, an animated short series, and the short film Lamp Life
From National Geographic:
• The World According to Jeff Goldblum, a documentary series where Goldblum pulls back the curtain on a seemingly familiar object to reveal a world of astonishing connections, fascinating science and a whole lot of big ideas
• Magic of the Animal Kingdom, a documentary series which takes viewers behind the scenes with the highly respected animal-care experts, veterinarians and biologists at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Epcot’s SeaBase aquarium
From Disney Television Animation:
• The Phineas and Ferb Movie (working title), an animated film featuring many of the original voice cast
Scripted originals previously announced for Disney+ include The Mandalorian, the world’s first scripted live-action Star Wars series; the exclusive new season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars; and Marvel Studios’ series Loki starring Tom Hiddleston, to name a few.
The Disney+ service costs at USD 6.99 a month and will be available on a wide range of mobile and connected devices, including gaming consoles, streaming media players and smart TVs, and will adjust to the best possible high-definition viewing experience based on a subscriber’s available bandwidth, with support for up to 4K HDR video playback. Offline viewing will also be available for select content.
After its U.S. release, Disney+ will expand globally in nearly all major regions of the world within the next two years.