Apple macOS Catalina now available
Apple has just launched the macOS Catalina update for its line up of Macs.
The macOS Catalina has a number of new features, including:
- Apple Music – Replacing iTunes, Apple Music allows users to access their music, as well as have access to 50 million songs, playlists, and music videos.
- Apple Podcasts – As a standalone app, users can access a library of 700,000 shows and an option to be notified as soon as new episodes become available.
- Apple TV for Mac – The app comes with personalized recommendations and over 100,000 iTunes movies and TV shows to browse, buy or rent. The Watch Now section features Up Next, where viewers can keep track of what they are currently watching and resume on any screen.
- Sidecar – The new feature allows an iPad to turn into an extended display for the Mac. high-precision drawing tablet across supported Mac apps with the help of the Apple Pencil. It works with Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Illustrator, and iWork documents.
- Apple Arcade – Launched in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13, the Apple Arcade can now be used on Mac as well. Users can now connect their Xbox or PS4 DualShock wireless controllers to their Mac.
- Screen Time – The feature gives Mac users insight into how they spend time in apps and on websites and the tools to help decide how to spend their time. It has the new “One more minute” feature that gives users more time to save their work or log out of a game.
- Voice Control – Users can control their Mac entirely with voice using on-device Siri speech recognition technology
Other improvements include the ability to run iPad apps, enhanced Gatekeeper, Find My feature, an all-new Photos tab, an updated Notes view, hover text, zoom display, and more.
MacBooks compatible with the macOS Catalina include:
- MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
- Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
- iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)